Direct Method Summary March 13, 2010Posted by gilangkanigara in Bahasa Inggris.
The Direct Method has several important points, there are:
- This approach was developed initially as a reaction to the grammar-translation approach in an attempt to integrate more use of the target language in instruction.
- The goal of this method is to enable the students to speak/communicate in target language.
- Lessons begin with a dialogue using a modern conversational style in the target language.
- Material is first presented orally with actions or pictures.
- The mother language is never used. Therefore, there is no translation.
- The preferred type of exercise is a series of questions in the target language based on the dialogue of an anecdotal narrative.
- In this method, teacher emphasizes listening first.
- Students mimic the teacher.
- Mistakes made by students are allowed.
- Questions are answered in the target language.
- Grammar is taught inductively. Rules are generalized from practice and experience with the target language.
- Verbs are used first and systematically conjugated much later after some oral mastery of the target language.
- Advanced students read literature for comprehension and pleasure.
- Literary texts are not analyzed grammatically.
- The culture associated with the target language is also taught inductively.
- Culture is considered an important aspect of learning the language.