Grammar-Translation Method March 12, 2010Posted by gilangkanigara in Bahasa Inggris.
Grammar-Translation method is a language teaching method that mainly focuses on grammar and vocabulary. It has several important points. They are:
– It helps students read and appreciate foreign language literature.
– Classes are taught in the students’ mother tongue, with little active use of the target language.
– Vocabulary is taught in the form of isolated word lists, or, on the other way, through passage.
– Elaborate explanations of grammar are always provided.
– Grammar instruction provides the rules for putting words together; instruction focuses on the form and inflection of words
– Little attention is paid to the content of texts.
– Drills are exercises in translating disconnected sentences from the target language into the mother tongue, and vice versa.
– Little or no attention is given to pronunciation.
– Grammar is taught deductively.
– Teacher directly corrects the mistake.